TDS Return filing
TDS return filing is a process of submitting a statement of tax deducted at source by a person or entity who has made payments that are subject to TDS. The statement includes details of the amount of tax deducted, the identity of the person who received the payment, and other related information.WhatsApp
TDS return filing is a process of submitting a statement of tax deducted at source by a person or entity who has made payments that are subject to TDS. The statement includes details of the amount of tax deducted, the identity of the person who received the payment, and other related information. It is mandatory for those who have deducted TDS to file the TDS return. Failure to file the return can result in penalties and legal consequences. The TDS return must be filed on a quarterly basis, and there are different forms to be used depending on the type of payment made and the nature of the recipient. In order to file a TDS return, the person or entity must obtain a Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number (TAN) and register for the e-filing of TDS returns on the Income Tax Department's website. It is important to ensure that TDS returns are filed accurately and on time to avoid penalties and legal consequences.
The benefits of TDS return filing in India for the deductor (the person or entity who deducts TDS) are:
- Compliance with tax laws: TDS return filing is mandatory under Indian tax laws for those who deduct TDS. By filing the TDS return on time and accurately, the deductor can ensure compliance with tax laws and avoid penalties and legal consequences.
- Reduced tax liability: The TDS amount deducted by the deductor can be adjusted against the final tax liability of the deductee. This reduces the tax liability of the deductor and helps in avoiding any additional tax burden.
- Easy credit: The TDS amount deducted by the deductor is credited to the account of the deductee, who can easily claim the credit while filing their income tax return. This helps the deductee in reducing their tax liability and avoiding any additional tax burden.
- Transparency: TDS return filing provides a transparent record of the tax deducted and deposited with the government, which helps in avoiding disputes and building trust between the deductor and deductee.
- Avoidance of penalties and legal consequences: Failure to file TDS return on time or inaccurately can lead to penalties and legal consequences. By filing the TDS return accurately and on time, the deductor can avoid such consequences.
The following documents are required for TDS return filing in India:
- Challan 281: This is the tax payment challan that contains the details of the tax deposited by the deductor.
- Form 26Q/27Q: These are the TDS returns that need to be filed quarterly for payments made to residents and non-residents respectively.
- PAN card: The PAN card details of the deductor and the deductee are required for TDS return filing.
- TAN card: The TAN card details of the deductor are required for TDS return filing.
- TDS certificates: The TDS certificates issued to the deductee need to be verified for the correctness of the TDS amount deducted and deposited.
- Bank statements: Bank statements that contain details of the tax deposited need to be kept handy for TDS return filing.
- Other relevant documents: Any other relevant documents, such as invoices, receipts, and agreements, need to be kept handy for TDS return filing.
The registration procedure for TDS return filing in India is as follows:
Penalty for Non filing or late filing of TDS return
The penalties for non-filing or late filing of TDS returns in India are as follows:
- Late filing fee: If the TDS return is not filed within the due date, a late filing fee of Rs. 200 per day can be charged, subject to a maximum of the total amount of TDS deducted.
- Interest: If the TDS return is not filed within the due date, interest can be charged at the rate of 1.5% per month or part thereof, from the due date of filing the return until the actual date of filing.
- Penalty for non-filing or late filing: If the TDS return is not filed within one year from the due date of filing, a penalty of Rs. 10,000 can be imposed.
- Disallowance of expenses: If the TDS return is not filed, the Income Tax Department can disallow the expenses claimed by the deductor.
- Prosecution: In extreme cases, where there is a deliberate attempt to evade tax, the Income Tax Department can initiate prosecution proceedings against the deductor, which can result in imprisonment and/or fines.
Why approach LAWYASA?
There are several reasons why one may choose to approach Lawyasa for TDS return filing:
- Expertise: Lawyasa has a team of experienced and qualified professionals who specialize in TDS return filing. We have extensive knowledge of the relevant tax laws and regulations and can ensure accurate and timely filing of TDS returns.
- Convenience: Lawyasa offers online TDS return filing services, which makes it convenient for individuals and businesses to file their returns from the comfort of their homes or offices.
- Time-saving: Outsourcing TDS return filing to Lawyasa can save time for individuals and businesses, as the professionals at Lawyasa can handle the entire process efficiently and effectively.
- Error-free filing: Lawyasa ensures error-free TDS return filing by verifying all the details provided by the client and cross-checking them with the tax laws and regulations.
- Cost-effective: Lawyasa offers cost-effective TDS return filing services, which can help individuals and businesses save money on their tax compliance requirements.
How can LAWYASA assist?
Lawyasa can assist you in TDS return filing in the following ways:
- Document collection: Lawyasa will collect all the necessary documents, such as Form 16, TDS certificates, and other relevant details required for TDS return filing.
- Verification: Lawyasa will verify all the details provided by you, such as the amount of TDS deducted and the details of the deductee.
- Preparation and filing of TDS return: Based on the information provided by you, Lawyasa will prepare the TDS return and file it on your behalf. We will ensure that the return is filed accurately and on time.
- Expert advice: Lawyasa's team of tax experts can provide you with expert advice and guidance on all aspects of TDS return filing, including the calculation of TDS, deduction of TDS, and other tax-related matters.
- Reminders: Lawyasa can also send you reminders of the due dates for TDS return filing, ensuring that you do not miss any important deadlines.
- Assistance in case of notices: If you receive any notices or communication from the Income Tax Department regarding your TDS returns, Lawyasa can assist you in responding to them and resolving any issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is TDS?
Q: Who is required to deduct TDS?
What is a TDS return?
What are the due dates for TDS return filing?
What are the consequences of non-filing or late filing of TDS returns?
Can TDS returns be revised?
Is it mandatory to file TDS returns online?
What documents are required for TDS return filing?
What is the penalty for non-deduction of TDS?
How can I approach Lawyasa for TDS return filing?
See what our clients say about us ...
“Lawyasa exceeded my expectations. They were extremely thorough in their analysis of my legal issue and provided me with clear and concise guidance. Their team was always available to answer my questions and provide updates.”
Co founder, United Force Healthcare Pvt Ltd.
Brilliant Legal Team Safeguards Space Group's Operations Efficiently
The legal advice & paperwork the team gives is brilliant & they have helped us to remain protective on a lot of our company work here at Space Group. I highly recommend this legal team & that they are super fast at drafting & vetting documents with sound knowledge of the legal compliances.
CEO, Space India
Awesome Insights for De-risking Small Business Contracts
Matisha and her team are simply awesome. Her insights helped me identify risks and aspects of my business that I was missing. Extremely customer focussed and an absolute asset for small business owners looking to de-risk their legal contracts.
Founder, Sales Panther
Excellent Law Firm for Pvt Ltd Company Incorporation!
I had a fantastic experience with the team while incorporating my Pvt Ltd company. Team Lawyasa is highly knowledgeable, efficient, and provided exceptional guidance throughout the entire process. I highly recommend their services for anyone seeking a seamless company incorporation.
Co founder, WhiteChalk