The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, in 2006. It is responsible for ensuring the safety and standards of food products in India, including imports and exports.WhatsApp
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, in 2006. It is responsible for ensuring the safety and standards of food products in India, including imports and exports. Here are some of the features of FSSAI in India:
- Registration: FSSAI registration is mandatory for all food businesses operating in India, including manufacturers, traders, distributors, and retailers. The registration process is simple and can be done online or offline, depending on the category of the food business.
- Licensing: Food businesses with an annual turnover of more than Rs. 12 lakhs are required to obtain an FSSAI license. The license is valid for 1-5 years, depending on the category of the food business.
- Food safety standards: FSSAI sets and enforces food safety standards for all food products in India, including imports and exports. It also ensures that the standards are in line with international guidelines and regulations.
- Labeling requirements: FSSAI mandates that all food products should have clear and accurate labeling, including details of ingredients, nutritional information, and allergens. It also prohibits false and misleading claims on food labels.
- Food testing: FSSAI conducts regular food testing to ensure that food products meet the prescribed safety and quality standards. It also provides accreditation to food testing laboratories.
- Food safety awareness: FSSAI conducts food safety awareness programs and campaigns to educate consumers, food businesses, and other stakeholders about the importance of food safety and hygiene.
- Enforcement: FSSAI has the power to enforce food safety laws and regulations, including inspections, sampling, and prosecution of violators. It also works with other government agencies, such as the customs department, to prevent the entry of unsafe food products into the country.
- Collaboration: FSSAI collaborates with other national and international organizations, such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), to develop and implement food safety standards and guidelines.
There are several benefits of obtaining FSSAI registration in India, some of which are:
- Legitimacy: FSSAI registration lends credibility and legitimacy to your food business, as it indicates that your products meet the prescribed safety and quality standards.
- Compliance: FSSAI registration ensures compliance with the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, and its regulations, which is mandatory for all food businesses operating in India.
- Consumer trust: FSSAI registration assures consumers that the food products they consume are safe and of high quality, which can enhance their trust and loyalty towards your brand.
- Access to markets: FSSAI registration is mandatory for exports and imports of food products, which opens up opportunities for your business to access national and international markets.
- Competitive advantage: FSSAI registration can give your business a competitive advantage over non-registered food businesses, as it signifies your commitment to food safety and quality.
- Legal protection: FSSAI registration offers legal protection to your business in case of any legal disputes or product recalls, as it demonstrates that you have followed the prescribed standards and guidelines.
- Increased sales: FSSAI registration can lead to increased sales and revenue, as it can attract more customers and create a positive brand image.
- Easy renewal: FSSAI registration is valid for 1-5 years, depending on the category of your food business, and can be easily renewed by following the prescribed procedures.
Who is required to have it?
All food businesses in India, regardless of their size or scale of operation, require FSSAI registration or license. This includes the following:
- Food manufacturers and processors
- Food packers and repackers
- Food importers and exporters
- Food retailers and wholesalers
- Food caterers and restaurants
- Food storage and transport operators
- Food e-commerce operators
- Food vending machine operators
- Food donation organizations
- Food testing laboratories
The documentation required for FSSAI registration may vary depending on the type of food business and the category of registration. However, the following are the common documents required for FSSAI registration in India:
- Form A: The basic registration form (Form A) needs to be filled in and submitted by all food businesses.
- Identity proof: A copy of the PAN card or Aadhaar card of the proprietor or director of the food business.
- Address proof: A copy of the utility bill, property tax bill, or rental agreement of the premises where the food business is located.
- Food safety management plan: A detailed plan outlining the food safety management system, including hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) plan, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and food safety training program.
- List of food products: A list of all the food products manufactured, processed, or sold by the food business.
- Authority letter: An authority letter authorizing the signatory to submit the application and obtain the registration certificate.
- Photograph: Passport-size photograph of the proprietor or director of the food business.
- Declaration: A self-declaration stating that the food business complies with the FSS Act and regulations.
The process of FSSAI registration in India involves the following steps:
- Determine the category: Determine the category of registration required for your food business based on the type and size of your operation. FSSAI has three categories of registration: Basic registration, State license, and Central license.
- Fill out the application form: Fill out the online application form for FSSAI registration on the FSSAI website (www.fssai.gov.in). The form will require details such as the name of the food business, address, contact details, and food products.
- Submit documents: Submit the required documents along with the application form, including the identity proof, address proof, food safety management plan, list of food products, and authority letter.
- Payment of fees: Pay the applicable fees for FSSAI registration based on the category of registration and the duration of validity.
- Application review: The FSSAI authority will review the application and may request additional information or documents if necessary.
- Inspection: A food safety officer may conduct an inspection of the food business premises to verify compliance with the prescribed standards and regulations.
- Registration certificate: Upon successful verification and inspection, the FSSAI registration certificate will be issued, which is valid for 1-5 years depending on the category of registration.
- Renewal: The FSSAI registration certificate needs to be renewed before the expiry of the validity period by following the prescribed renewal process.
Why Approach LAWYASA?
- Expert guidance: Lawyasa provides expert guidance and assistance throughout the registration process, ensuring that all legal requirements are met.
- Online platform: Lawyasa is an online platform, which means that you can access our services from anywhere, anytime.
- Experienced professionals: Lawyasa has a team of experienced professionals who are well-versed in legal requirements and can provide expert advice and guidance.
- Quick turnaround time: Lawyasa strives to provide quick and efficient services, ensuring that your registration is completed in a timely manner.
How can LAWYASA assist?
Lawyasa is a legal platform that can assist you in the FSSAI registration process in India in the following ways:
- FSSAI consultant: Lawyasa has a team of FSSAI consultants who can help you determine the category of registration required for your food business, prepare the food safety management plan, and assist you in filling out the application form and submitting the required documents.
- Application review: Lawyasa can review your FSSAI application to ensure that all the information and documents are accurate and complete, and make necessary corrections or additions if required.
- Inspection assistance: Lawyasa can assist you in the inspection process by providing guidance on compliance with the prescribed standards and regulations, and represent you before the food safety officer if necessary.
- Renewal: Lawyasa can help you renew your FSSAI registration certificate before the expiry of the validity period.
- Legal support: Lawyasa can provide legal support in case of any legal disputes or issues related to FSSAI registration, compliance, or enforcement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is FSSAI registration mandatory for small food businesses?
Q: Can FSSAI registration be transferred from one person to another?
Q: Is it necessary to have a physical inspection before obtaining FSSAI registration?
Q: What is the validity of FSSAI registration certificate?
Q: Can a food business operate without an FSSAI registration?
Q: Is it possible to apply for FSSAI registration without a food safety management plan?
Q: Can a food business operate in multiple states with a single FSSAI registration?
Q: What is the difference between FSSAI registration and FSSAI license?
Q: Is it necessary to obtain a NOC from local authorities before applying for FSSAI registration?
Q: Is it possible to renew an expired FSSAI registration?
See what our clients say about us ...
“Lawyasa exceeded my expectations. They were extremely thorough in their analysis of my legal issue and provided me with clear and concise guidance. Their team was always available to answer my questions and provide updates.”
Co founder, United Force Healthcare Pvt Ltd.
Brilliant Legal Team Safeguards Space Group's Operations Efficiently
The legal advice & paperwork the team gives is brilliant & they have helped us to remain protective on a lot of our company work here at Space Group. I highly recommend this legal team & that they are super fast at drafting & vetting documents with sound knowledge of the legal compliances.
CEO, Space India
Awesome Insights for De-risking Small Business Contracts
Matisha and her team are simply awesome. Her insights helped me identify risks and aspects of my business that I was missing. Extremely customer focussed and an absolute asset for small business owners looking to de-risk their legal contracts.
Founder, Sales Panther
Excellent Law Firm for Pvt Ltd Company Incorporation!
I had a fantastic experience with the team while incorporating my Pvt Ltd company. Team Lawyasa is highly knowledgeable, efficient, and provided exceptional guidance throughout the entire process. I highly recommend their services for anyone seeking a seamless company incorporation.
Co founder, WhiteChalk